Thursday, February 27, 2014

Meatball Sub Casserole {Ridiculously Easy Weeknight Dinner}

I will admit, since beginning this blog, me and Tracy have really grown in our cooking and recipe creating abilities. We have become very creative with ingredients and flavors, and enjoy semi-complicated recipes. But we also need a few ridiculously easy weeknight dinners just to ensure our sanity during the week. This is one of those, and even better, it is ridiculously delicious!



I actually took this recipe straight form The Country Cook, but adjusted the amounts slightly for my tastes. When I say it's easy. I mean it!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
 4 oz. cream cheese, room temp
1 tsp. italian seasoning
1 roll French bread or 2 sub rolls, sliced
1/2 Bag of frozen meatballs (I personally like ot bake my meatballs first to give them a crispy outside)
1 jar marinara
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray, then lay your bread slices down flat, ripping a few into smaller pieces to fill in the gaps.

Mix together the cream cheese, mayo and seasoning. Spread over the bread slices. I preferred a little less of this mixture than the original, so I just focused on getting a little of it on each slice. Just like a meatball sub, I wanted less mayo than the marinara. The original recipe used almost equal amounts, and that through off the ratios of what you'd actually get in a meatball sub.




Add your meatballs and pour on the marinara. Add mozzarella cheese and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until cheese starts to brown.

This works really well as a freezer meal too. Plan on making spaghetti and meatballs, but buy 2 jars of marinara. Assemble the casserole and just place in the freezer until ready to cook. You will need to double the cooking time if you don't thaw before baking.





Follow the Magical Moms on Facebook and Pinterest for weekly menu ideas, crafts, and Disney Magic. 


If you enjoyed this recipe, why not try one of these?


No comments:

Post a Comment