Thursday, February 27, 2014

Krispy Kale Chips


 I will admit I'm not a big veggie eater. I feel bad for my husband who loves broccoli and never gets it at my house because I can't stand it. But I do want my children to eat a lot healthier than I do/did, so I have been trying to incorporate all kinds of interesting ways to incorporate more vegetables.

My sister, who has been eating super clean over the last year (she has lost almost 50 pounds!) first told me about kale chips a while ago. I thought they sounded a bit strange, but since I now see them all over Pinterest, I figured I'd give them a try this week.

There are a lot of recipes out there for kale chips, but here are the most important things you need to know about kale chips:



1. They do not taste like potato chips. Do not let those uber-healthy people try and tell you they do... they don't. But they are salty, so if you can trick yourself into thinking they taste like potato chips, more power to you.

2. You need to cut around the ribs of the leaves, as the ribs are the most bitter part. You will not learn to love kale chips if you skip this step.

3. Your kale needs to be super dry. Lots of recipes claim kale chips are so easy and only take 15 minutes, and that is just not true. They aren't really that difficult to make, but you really need to run them through your salad spinner multiple times and dry your salad spinner out with paper towels each time to get the kale leaves really dry.
If you look closely you can see I'm Facebook-ing while spinning my kale. Notice the kids bandaid on my finger... I actually cut myself with the kitchen shears while cutting the kale, lol!

4. Every inch of the kale needs to have olive oil on it. And since there are two different kinds of kale, the curly kale is harder to accomplish this. You need to gently toss it around to cover in oil, but be careful not to bruise the delicate green.

5. Don't attempt to make kale chips if you don't have parchment paper. Seriously, they will just stick to your baking pan and will be a bust.

Now that I've scared you off... here is the recipe for Crispy Kale Chips, lol! They really are good and not that difficult, but I just wanted you to be successful, so follow the tips above.

Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch kale
  • Tablespoon or two of olive oil
  • Sea salt

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Wash and dry, dry, dry the kale.

Cut the leaves off of the rib/stem, and cut each leaf in half.

Toss in olive oil.

Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 6-8 minutes, checking often to make sure you don't burn the kale.

Sprinkle with salt and serve.

And if you can get your kids to eat, please let us know how.


Follow the Magical Moms on Facebook and Pinterest for weekly menu ideas, crafts, and Disney Magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment