Saturday, September 14, 2013

Harvest Potatoes

This is a recipe that my grandma Miller gave to me several years ago.  I am not sure where the name Harvest Potatoes came from, but that was what was written on the recipe card she gave me so that is what I am going with.  This is a great dish to take to a pot luck or other group dinner.  It is easy to make and always a hit!  Many times I have mixed it all up a day ahead and then baked it when ready.  The most important step is to make sure that the hashbrown potatoes are thawed.  If they are not thawed, they will take FOREVER to cook through.  If I am not going to mix up ahead of time I just let the hashbrowns thaw in the fridge.  

Ingredients:
  • 1 Bag of Cubed Hashbrown Potatoes (32 oz)- Thawed
  • 1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
  • 1 Cup Sour Cream
  • 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
  • 1/2 Cup Diced Onion (optional)
My grandmother's recipe also calls for 2 cups of Potato Chips (or Corn Flakes) combined with a 1/4 cup of melted butter sprinkled on top of potato mixture.  My husband doesn't like this so I always skip it, but I should just start doing it on half of the dish.  

Preheat oven to 350.  Mix all ingredients except potatoes in a large bowl.  When the mixture is well combined stir in the potatoes.
Place potatoes in a greased 9x13 baking dish and bake for 55-60 minutes.
I doubled the recipe because I was taking it to a pot luck with several families.

No comments:

Post a Comment