Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Cajun Brown Rice

Eating healthy doesn't have to be boring! This yummy Cajun rice will add some Cajun flavor to your healthy eating habits.

I wanna first start off by saying, I just made this with what I had in my kitchen. If I had the choice, I would have added green and red bell pepper, but I didn't. Feel free to add in 1/4 cup of those diced peppers. I also used vegetable bouillon because I didn't have vegetable stock, and I only had a cup of chicken broth, so I made due with what I had. Feel free to throw in some of what you got and make it your own!

Ingredients:
-1/3 cup diced red onion
-1/2 tsp minced garlic
-1 cup chicken broth and 3 cups water (you need 4 cups of liquid, however you mix it up)
- 1 1/2cube of vegetable bouillon
-2 cups brown rice
-1 tsp Cajun seasoning
-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp black pepper

Directions:
Soften the onions in a little bit of oil or butter in a large skillet for about 10 minites. Add garlic and cook for a few more minutes. Then add broth, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil, then add the rest of the ingredients.  Reduce heat to medium and cook 10 minutes or until rice Is soft and most of the liquid is absorbed.

Tonight we served with turkey smoked sausage, but you could easily serve with browned ground turkey and cooked chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment