Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Tex Mex Breakfast

I am always looking for creative ways to use leftover taco meat. Even though everyone at my house loves taco night, there always seems to be an abundance of leftover meat. I want to use it in a different way, so I decided to use it for breakfast. If you don't have leftover taco meat, you can use sausage or leftover steak or pork as well. This is really a simple recipe and it is easy to use substitutions. I kind of just use whatever I have on hand. I make this for just me and my husband, so the recipe is for 2, so just double it if you're making for more than that.

Ingredients:

  • 2 potatoes (I used Idaho because that's what I had, you can use red)
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • Diced onions
  • Peppers 
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/2 Tbsp. taco seasoning (you could use chili powder if you don't have taco seasoning)
  • 2-3 Tbsp. taco meat (or other meat)
  • 2 eggs
  • Cheese (I used slices of Colby jack because I don't have any shredded cheese, but again, use whatever you got)
  • Hot sauce, optional
Cut potatoes into 4ths and then slice. Heat butter in skillet, add potatoes, onions and seasonings.
Stir until well coated, then cover. Cook on medium for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add taco meat and heat over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Cover and remove from heat.
Here's my little helper, whisking up some scrambled eggs for his breakfast.

In a different skillet, fry 2 eggs. Add cheese at the end and leave in skillet just long enough to start to melt the cheese.

Place potatoe and meat mixture in bowl, top with fried egg. We like to serve with Red Hot. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment