Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Henderson House Salad

We love a good salad around here. If I had my choice, a salad would be my vegetable every day of the week. I eat so many things in salads that I would never eat by themselves. This salad is my favorite and its pretty simple. I serve it for just the two of us and for large gatherings. It's delicious!

For the salad:

  • Lettuce of your choice ( I usually buy a bag of the Italian blend salad)
  • Red onions
  • Tomatoes
  • Blue cheese crumbles
  • Diced, cooked prosciutto
Use the amount of ingredients that you desire for your perfect salad. The red onions and blue cheese really make the salad, so just don't skimp on those. For the prosciutto, my deli sells it already cubed, but if you can't find it that way, just cut it up before you cook it. Then stick it in the skillet and cook like you would bacon. Get it pretty crispy or else it's very chewy and takes a while to chew each bite of your salad.

For the dressing:
  • 1/2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 Tbsp. mayo
  • 1/2Tbsp. Salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic (I actually like to use the jar kind and just use the oil and juices)
  • Dash black pepper
  • Dash Italian seasoning (or oregano)
  • 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
  • 1 cup oil
Whisk all ingredients except oil in medium boil until well mixed. Slowly add a stream of oil while continuing to whisk until all oil is well blended. Chill until ready to serve.

If you like a pretty cold salad, you'll want to let the prosciutto cool off after cooking and even stick in the fridge for 10 minutes or so. I usually cook the prosciutto, make the dressing and chop the salad before I get the rest of the meal ready and let the salad ingredients chill in the fridge. Otherwise, the warm prosciutto makes your dressing warm and gives you a lukewarm salad. Then I toss all ingredients in the dressing and serve. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment