Friday, March 1, 2013

Two- Step Pierogies



I try to incorporate meatless dishes into our monthly menu and I will be the first to admit that I struggle with it and I am always looking for suggestions.  Pierogies are a family favorite but only because my Mother-in-law introduced this Two-Step way to prepare them.  Previously I would just boil them and toss them with a little butter.  Her way is MUCH better.  I know that this isn't really a recipe, it is more like a cooking variation.

Ingredients:
  • Frozen Pierogies- I use the ones filled with potato and white cheddar cheese
  • Onion
  • Butter

First, boil the pierogies about one minute less than suggested on the package.  Be careful not to overcook them, you don't want them to be mushy.  Drain from the water.  Then in large skillet melt butter add onions cook until carmelized.

In same skillet (or you can cook the onions separately), add pierogies and lightly toast on each side.  The crispy outside is so YUMMY!

These can be topped with a dollop of sour cream, a little more cheese, left just the way they are.  Tonight I am serving with Caesar Salad.  

This recipe was featured in Two Magical Moms March Menu Madness.  Check out the entire menu and try out some of our other YUMMY recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment