Saturday, March 2, 2013

Best Darn Pork BBQ

My younger sister has celiac disease and therefore cannot eat any gluten. Since she often comes over for dinner, I try to find ways to make gluten free food, or at least give her gluten free options when she eats here. Everything in this post is gluten free EXCEPT the pretzel rolls. While I wholeheartedly prefer the rolls, this meal still does taste great over rice. I ate at a Latin restaurant once that served Kahlua pork with coconut rice and bacon black beans, it was delicious! I think you could cook your rice in coconut milk and just crumple cooked bacon in your beans and use my pork recipe to create this. Maybe I'll make that with the leftover pork and post later!

Anyway, here are the ingredients for the pork roast:

  • 2-3 lbs. pork roast
  • 1 tbsp. dry mustard
  • 1 tbsp. chili powder
  • 1 tbsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tbsp. sea salt
  • 1 tbsp. black pepper
  • 1/4 cup liquid smoke
I'm going to be honest and say I never measure out those spices. I just rub them all over the meat until it looks well coated in the spice rub. Use however much you think is appropriate for your taste. After you rub the spices on the pork, place in slow cooker and pour in liquid smoke. Cook on low for at least 12 hours. The longer the better. I recommend cooking on low for 8-10 hours then leave on "keep warm" overnight. I have left this on low for 20 hours before and it was deliciously (forgot to turn to keep warm before bed so it cooked on low all night). Transfer the pork to a dish and shred with a fork. Since inlet this cook all night, I store it until dinner that night, so I reserve about 1/2 cup of the liquid from slow cooker for later. I then heat up pork in the liquid in a pan on the stove. Serve with warm BBQ sauce below.

BBQ Sauce Ingredients:
  • 1 cup ketchup (Heinz for gluten free)
  • 2 tbsp.  Orange Juice
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce (Lea and Perrins or Kroger for gluten free)
  • Dashes of liquid smoke, cayenne pepper and dry mustard

Again, I don't measure the last few ingredients, just a dash is how I measure. Use more cayenne if you like your BBQ spicy, none at all if you don't want any spice. You can use a bit more sugar and even add honey if you like your BBQ sauce even sweeter. Add BBQ sauce to the pork and combine. Serve on pretzel rolls.

This recipe was featured in Two Magical Moms March Menu Madness and our Appetizing April Menu.  Check out the menus and try out some of our other YUMMY recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment